2022 witnessed the highest demand for experienced DevOps Engineers, Analysts, and Programmers. Undoubtedly, the IT industry requires more skilled DevOps professionals this year. With the increasing demand, IT engineers can grab excellent career upscaling opportunities.
In this guide, we will discuss the top 10 DevOps lessons that can be helpful to professionals in strengthening their DevOps skills.
Let’s understand them in detail.
“It’s time to master DevOps and crack the most in-demand yet high-paying IT jobs in 2023.”
#1 Most Used Programming Languages by DevOps Developers
#2 Popular DevOps Tools For Automation
Today’s IT leaders are looking for the right DevOps tools that can be useful to automate manual operational processes and development tasks. In 2022, many global companies used the following DevOps tools for automation:
1. Jenkins (Automate testing for frequent code builds)
2. ELK Stack (Automate logs and data insights for reporting)
3. Splunk (Automate machine-generate data visualization)
4. Maven (Automate code releases and monitoring processes)
5. Slack (Facilitates smooth workplace collaboration among teams)
6. ServiceNow (Manage ticket resolution workflows)
These DevOps tools are crucial to automate several aspects of the Software Development Life Cycle. Learning the capabilities of these tools can help perform day-to-day DevOps activities.
#3 Top Beginners’ DevOps Lessons Covering All DevOps Modules
The following DevOps modules make the introduction to DevOps easier and simpler for IT engineers:
1. Briefing of DevOps Methodologies like Agile, Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.
2. Introduction to DevOps toolchain that conjuncts SDLC with infra-operations.
3. Learning Infrastructure as Code (IaC) with Powershell, ARM Templates, and Terraform.
4. Public, private, and hybrid cloud architecture in Azure, AWS, GCP, etc.
5. Introduction to serverless computing and container orchestration solutions.
#4 Formation Of A Standard DevOps Pipeline
DevOps Pipelines implement a recurring system that maintains development continuity through loops. Most IT professionals use the following stages to form a successful DevOps pipeline:
1. Develop: Developers write the initial codes during this stage.
2. Build: The code builds push into an error-checking system.
3. Test: The operations team tests the code build to detect bugs and defects.
4. Deployment: The code is released publicly after the development and testing stages.
#5 Migrating From Legacy to Micro Infrastructure
Most Agile Methodologies don’t support legacy infrastructure with complex architecture. Also, most legacy applications and systems fail to integrate with Agile. In 2022, IT leaders were forced to resolve such stability problems by migrating from legacy to micro infrastructure with DevOps.
DevOps introduced Infrastructure as Code (IaC) that modernized the entire Software Development Life Cycle with microservices. Microservices act as functions to perform repetitive tasks and operations automatically. It helped organizations overcome all dependencies on legacy systems and applications.
#6 The Rising Demand for DevOps as a Service
In 2022, most startups and small companies hired DevOps Consulting Companies to transform their business operations with DevOps. DaaS helps reduce operational expenses and automate critical workflows. It leverages cloud-based DevOps tools and technologies to fasten code testing and deployment with frequent release cycles. IT professionals offering “DevOps as a Service” have high potential in 2023.
#7 DevSecOps: The integration of Security at Every Phase of SDLC
DevSecOps combines Development, Security, and Operations. It introduces security enhancement and capabilities throughout the SDLC with DevOps pipelines.
In the past, the Quality Assurance (QA) teams used to test software builds at the end of the development cycle. Now Software Testers perform Continuous Testing throughout the CI/CD process.
#8 Improve Sites & Systems Reliability with SREs
Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) roles are much needed to fulfill IT infrastructure and operational stability requirements. Hence IT leaders are taking the following SRE initiatives using DevOps:
- Automate troubleshooting steps to improve system reliability.
- Perform frequent retrospectives to enhance release management.
- Develop best practices to add self-healing capabilities in applications.
The above activities reveal valuable insights into application performance, services, and system capabilities. With these insights, DevOps teams can make smarter decisions for improving digital business services.
#9 Clean Code Repository Management
DevOps offers the ultimate solution for streamlining source code with a well-maintained code repository. Managing the code repository is critical to determine the overall success of a Continuous Integration strategy.
DevOps repository management tools like Pulp, NuGet, Helix Core, etc., perform version control, code quality improvement, source code backup, automated code branching, and various other activities.
#10 Top Certifications For IT Professionals
Most DevOps professionals acquired the following certificates in 2022 to get an extra edge over others:
- AWS Certified DevOps Engineer
- MS Certified DevOps Automation Engineer
- Google Certified Cloud Architect
This year, getting the above certifications can help DevOps engineers perform their day-to-day responsibilities. Interested IT experts can take online courses from reputed organizations to enhance their DevOps knowledge and skills.
Analyzing 2022, it’s evident that the IT industry is still adapting various Agile Practices, including DevOps. It’s the ultimate solution to transform business operations with automation, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, and work enhancements. The top highlights of DevOps lessons indicate the essential practices most IT experts followed last year. Organizations will also be utilizing various DevOps Practices for Continuous Improvement this year.
Implementing DevOps best practices can get challenging with top consults to fit all your DevOps needs!